In this blog post, I'll go through why it's important to have a business blog, how you entrepreneurs should think about blogging to succeed in the best way and how to SEO your blog to reach Google's first page.
Do you have a company blog?
If you answered yes to the question if you have a company blog, I just want to say CONGRATULATIONS. If your company has a blog, information bank or whatever you call it, it means that there is a place on the company website that can be filled with content. Content that can help lost Google searchersfind your particular company website. Because it's content that's needed to be found when someone Googles your products or services.
What is the purpose of having a blog?
Some companies see their blog as a communication channel to inform about new hires or other fun things happening in the company. Writing informative short updates is great for informing customers about what's going on at the company BUT getting the posts into an SEO strategy requires more. To actively work with SEO with a goal of ranking high in Google searches requires that the content you fill your blog with is SEO-friendly.
What does it take to SEO a text?
Keyword analysisFirstof all, it is important to do a keyword analysis so that you know which words to use in your blog posts. A keyword analysis will give you an indication of the following:
- What words/phrases your potential customers are searching for
- How many people search for each word each month in, for example, Sweden
- What other companies are writing about the same keywords
- Which other companies have top results in Google for these keywords
When evaluating which keywords to choose, you need to consider the traffic for that particular word in relation to the competition for that particular word.1. The optimum is to find words from field 1 in the model below with many searches and low competition. Here, you have a high probability of being at the top of Google's first page when someone searches for one of these words.
- Once you've gone through the relevant words that have low competition, it's time to look at the words that have few searches but low competition. Even though these words have few searches, it may be just as relevant to focus on them as the words that rank in box 1. Imagine that the few searches that are made are by those who know exactly that they need your particular product or service. It may even be that everyone who makes these searches is prepared to buy your product or service immediately if they find you.
- In the third field, many companies are fighting for many potential customers. If you want to get ahead in this keyword field, you need to keep an eye on your competitors. If they have blog posts based on a particular keyword, you need to write a better post. So what does it take to write a better blog post than the competition? Well there are a few tricks you can use and the length of the post is one of those tricks. If the competition is writing a post based on the 1000 word keyword, you need to write a longer post to begin with in order to rank higher in Google search than they do.
- The keywords that fit in field 4 are not the best to bet on. These words are rarely searched for and the companies that already rank high on them are difficult to compete with.
It's also worth adding that if you find a lot of words that you think might suit you, think about whether these words can be used when the searcher is actually interested in finding something completely different. There are a number of general keywords that can be used in different contexts. Even if the word "best" is a positive-sounding word that you probably want to be associated with, it may not be a word worth going for when working on your blog posts. Instead of just using the word "best", you can create a search phrase such as "best home alarm" if you are selling home alarms. Of course, it's important to check how many people are searching for your phrase and what the competition is like before you decide to go for that word.
Write SEO-friendly texts
Once you've decided which keywords you want to rank high for, it's time to get writing. You can write it yourself or hire a content agency to do it for you. The important thing is that it gets done and that it's done according to a long-term plan with a stated goal.
To SEO a text, use the keywords you chose during the keyword analysis. This can be one or two words that you choose to focus on per blog post. My recommendation is not to have too many keywords but to focus on the chosen words and use them often. Also use synonyms for the words as this is something that Google's algorithms also pick up.
When structuring your text, I recommend that you make it easy for both the reader and Google to get an overview of the content:
- A brief initial summary
- Clear headings
- Clear paragraph divisions
- Points lists
- Short sentences
- A final summary of the content
Put the blog post on the website
Before you put the text on the website, it is important to give some extra thought to headings that tell you what the different parts are about. In other words, name headings (H1, H2, H3..) as headings and body text as body text. If you have one or more images, which I recommend, it is a good idea to name the images something that tells you what they are about.This is also where you write your meta description and meta title (the text that appears when someone Googles). This is your opportunity to write the text that will make people who Google choose to click through to your particular website.Remember:
- Headline the texts
- Name images
- Writing meta descriptions and meta titles
It is also important that the blog is on your domain so that it does not have its own separate domain. The traffic that the blog attracts will affect this entire domain. If the traffic comes to a separate blog domain, your main domain will not be able to benefit from the extra traffic you generate in the same way as if all the traffic comes to the same domain.
Spread your blog post
Now it's time to show Google that you've written an interesting post. In order for Google to see how good and popular your content is, you can give it a little extra boost yourself by increasing traffic. Share the blog post on your company's social media channels. When Google notices that traffic is coming in to the blog post and that visitors are spending time reading the post, Google classifies it as interesting content and rewards it in the searches that are done.
Analyse the content
A while after you publish your blog post, it's time to start analysing it. Google Analytics is one of Google's own analytics tools that can help you analyse how your blog post is performing.At this stage, it might be worth updating some text, perhaps lengthening the post or writing a new meta description. There are many things you can do after the analysis to improve the performance of the post but that will have to be another blog post.
Summary recommendations for your company blog
- Have a place (blog) that you can fill with content
- Make sure the blog is on your own website, i.e. not under another domain
- Fill the blog with content
- Choose the right keywords
- Write texts of at least 300 words, but it is important to adapt the length to the keyword you choose to work with. The blog posts that are on the first page of Google usually have 1200 words.
- SEO-optimize your texts
- Publish content frequently. I would recommend 4 times/month or more often
- Spread the content on social channels
- Analyse the content and optimise and adjust if necessary
The list of things to do can be long but take it with a pinch of salt. The more points you fulfill the better but the most important thing is that you just get started and start blogging continuously or look at our service for SEO!Good luck!